Thursday, May 18, 2006

Pre-Graduation Meditations

As I prepare to graduate tomorrow with a Master of Divinity in Pastoral Counseling (MDiv. PC), here's a few thoughts. I used my Lifeway graduation coupon (25% off) to buy The Works of John Owen, vol. 1. A couple months ago I picked up his most famous work, The Death of Death in the Death of Christ and have somewhat gotten started reading it. I'd like to have a full set of somebody's work eventually, so I figured I could start here since The Works of Jonathan Edwards is like $95 a volume new. I suppose I should get a start somewhere, so I guess you can do worse than Owen. ;-) As I said a couple of weeks ago in this post, I got promoted to part-time supervisor at UPS. I work in the training department. This week was my first week, and there are a lot of adjustments I'm having to make. For example, I have found myself real tired during the night, because instead of moving around and slinging boxes, I'm just sitting in a class for the new hires while I job shadow the training staff for the next two weeks. After that I'll be able to do some actual training myself, I hope. I'm learning a lot, so we'll see what the Lord has in store for me in this new portion of His will! It is now exactly one month until Tricia and I get married. June 17 at 2pm Eastern, to be exact. Any of you bloggers who will be in Louisville are welcome to drop in and say hey at the ceremony. It has been a hectic month. Tricia and I are fine, but everyone else (especially my future mother-in-law) are going nuts over the details for some reason. Now I can identify with those who say they can't wait until it's over, because I'm ready to ignite my lightsaber and dare anyone to try pressuring me about the preparations! Also, I'm in the process of trying to get everything moved to what will be "our" home. We have rented an apartment in town, and Tricia is already living there. Once graduation is over, the work of getting all this junk out of Fuller Hall and across town to the new place will begin. I will be throwing out a lot of old clothes and junk, and I think I may take a lot of my books that I don't need and sell them for store credit at Refiner's Fire books in St. Matthews Station. Go by there--it's a cool place. I plan to finish the Doctrines of Grace (see sidebar) before the wedding. I will start this Monday with Irresistible Grace. So keep your shirt on, folks. I think I've ably demonstrated what the 5 points of Calvinism are really about instead of the stupidity that's out there today. In between that, I will get started on The 5 Marks of a True Christian. And no, I haven't forgotten my promise to Josh Hearne to translate John chapter 1. I have now decided to do that after the wedding when things have considerably calmed down. Well, I am late for a meeting (my last of the semester), so I must mosey. Go forth and blog!

7 Comments:

Blogger R. Mansfield said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/18/2006 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger R. Mansfield said...

Stephen, what are your plans after graduation?

5/18/2006 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen Newell said...

I will be staying in Louisville, working at UPS and remaining as associate pastor of Louisville Baptist Deaf Church. There is the possibility of moving towards Ph.D. work in the future, so I am considering taking classes here and there to keep my study abilities fresh, but right now school is the last thing I want to do. I will definitely be taking the fall off so I can rest and refresh, and make those kinds of decisions with a clear mind.

5/19/2006 05:48:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen Newell said...

By the way, I sincerely apologize for any offense given by the sappy-ness of the third pic. ;-)

5/19/2006 06:18:00 AM  
Blogger JHearne said...

Just to make sure we understand. I'll take any chapter to be translated but I did, initially, ask for a section of John 3.

5/19/2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen Newell said...

Yes, you did. John 3:11-21, to be exact. My bad!

5/19/2006 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger The Archer of the Forest said...

Congrats...I didn't realize your parole had come through...

5/20/2006 09:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home