Friday, May 05, 2006

A Promotional Post

Well, it's official. The Deaf Jedi has been promoted. That's right, starting May 15 I will be a part-time supervisor at UPS. No more slinging packages for me! I had my formal interview this Wednesday, and at the end the district manager (or supervisor) who interviewed me told me that I was in the pool. That was my only goal throughout this process, to at the very least have my name in the pool before the wedding. And then tonight my full-time supervisor (UPS has three levels in an employee's "chain of command" -- a part-time supervisor, a full-time supervisor, and then a manager) came to talk to me and told me that I would be promoted within the next two weeks, and then only because we had to get our belt squared away first. To promote me now would have been to leave my belt shorthanded. But at the end of the night, my part-time supervisor (my immediate super) told me to go upstairs, because the Godfather was going to make me an offer I couldn't refuse. Yes, he actually did say that. Anyway, I went upstairs and I was offered the position, and it did not take me more than 5 seconds to say yes! God has shined His grace on me tonight! I will not miss slinging packages. I will miss the exercise it gave me. I will not miss the horrible attitudes and behavior from certain co-workers. I will miss them personally, as I became friends with each and developed strong relationships with some of them. Shane knows what I'm talkin' 'bout. I will deeply regret losing opportunities to witness to them, especially certain people on the belt. But I remain confident that God's word will not return to him void. I am just floored at the providence of God. This promotion came just as I was beginning to worry about money. Now I will not need to worry about money for a good while, especially considering I am on the Dave Ramsey plan. On the contrary, God has chosen this moment, just over a full month before my wedding, to enlarge my estate. I spent the entire shuttle ride back to the parking lot fighting tears of praise to God and suppressing the overwhelming desire to just start singing boldly to the Lord. I was able to get to my car and have a "prayer closet" moment just for that! I want to take a moment to thank all you readers who have prayed for me, especially my church, Louisville Baptist Deaf Church and Timmy Brister, who both personally prayed for me in the 24 hours immediately preceding my interview. I thank my family for being supportive and prayerful, and for embarrassing me constantly by needlessly bragging to their friends. Here's more fodder for ya, folks! Now, in the immortal words of Mr. Frank "Centuri0n" Turk's son:

Let's get this paudy stauded!

6 Comments:

Blogger JHearne said...

Congratulations.

5/05/2006 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger The Archer of the Forest said...

Congrats, Steve...

I now won't have to unleash my Ticks of Suspicion on you.

-The Archer+

5/05/2006 09:29:00 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

That is awesome! I'm glad UPS has a few redeemable qualities such as yourself. Otherwise, I wouldn't think very highly of them at all. Congratulations on both the promotion and your soon marriage.

5/05/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger William E. Turner Jr. said...

Congrats. What shift are you on? I worked twilight when I lived in Louisville and went to Southern. Do you know Jeff Walker? He is (was?) a seminary student who was a sup @ UPS on twilight in the wing, but that was back in 2004.

Don't worry, come Christmas time you will have a chance to throw some boxes!

Will
www.theologiaviatorum.com

5/05/2006 05:39:00 PM  
Blogger FX Turk said...

Stephen:

I have had a hard week, and you just made my day.

those are immortal words, aren't they?

5/05/2006 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen Newell said...

Mr. Turk has left a comment on my blog. My blog. And it was one of thanks, too! I can retire from the blogosphere a happy man. ;-)

Jason, thanks a bunch. I am so upset and sorry you got shafted by the company. I would have enjoyed it if we had our own band of Southern Seminary brothers in management.

Will, thanks as well. I work the 12-4am shift, though I end up working close to 5 1/2 hours every night since I'm responsible for everything short of actually supervising my belt these days. I've become my super's right hand man. Also, I've heard the name Jeff Walker but I don't know him, sorry.

And yes, I've seen how hard the supers work in peak season! But I will be in the training department, so I don't know how much of that I'll be doing just yet.

5/06/2006 05:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home