Friday, June 16, 2006

Pre-Marital Musings

As I prepare to engage in cleavage (What's that? No, no, no, I'm not talking about boobies, you boob! I'm talking about marriage! Leave your parents and cleave unto your wife? Hello?), I'm struck with several thoughts at random: Is it possible to be Reformed and not be a "full" Calvinist? Just how dumb is our convention, really? Passing that alcohol resolution was even dumber than the Disney boycott. Speaking of dumb, why are we counting non-Christians as church members just because "we don't want to lose prospects for evangelism?" What happened to the church being a body of believers? If this knot in my tummy means anything, then I think I've just discovered what "pre-wedding jitters" are. It is annoying. I was fine until now! I'm going to hurt my boss for giving me those jitters when he reminded the entire department about my wedding at work last night. He's already been duly threatened and the rest of the guys have volunteered to hold him down. Is everything ready? I hope the folks from Tennessee get up here to the 'Ville okay. I sure wonder how dadgum gorgeous Tricia will be. We might have to change her name to Grace, cause I'm sure she'll be irresistible. Queerest of the Queer: Late-night infomercials. The one that's on now is for "80s Gold." That's a great decade; unfortunately most of us are still trying to forget how uncool we were. But we've never had better toys than we did in the 80s--Voltron, the original Transformers, G.I. Joe, Star Wars. The old school stuff can't be beat. Strangest of the Strange: We're having an organist at a Deaf wedding. Numbest of the Dumb: The poor men and women humiliating themselves on Fear Factor right now. They just got done eating spiders, scorpions, and bugs. *shudder* Lamest of the Lame: Outgoing SBC president Bobby Welch's foot-in-mouth moment where he said, "Maybe if we spent less time blogging we would spend more time baptizing." For those of you who came of age in the 90s, you ought to recognize those last 4 thoughts being from Garbage's song Queer. Is it really less than 36 hours till the wedding? I'm going to enjoy the honeymoon. Thanks to everyone who's prayed for us and who have fed me through their blogs, seminary classes, friendships, and so on. I love you all and look forward to this new chapter of God's will for my life!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Archer of the Forest said...

I am heading out to South Dakota for my summer internship, so I won't get to make you wedding, but Goodluck and Congrats.

And in good stuffy Anglican mumble: Blessings in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit + (That just comes off so much better with a clerical collar in person.)

6/16/2006 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Timmy Brister said...

Stephen,

Congrats on your wedding! I am assuming that you are on your honeymoon right now, so I don't expect to hear back from you for some time (I better not!).

6/19/2006 12:53:00 AM  
Blogger iconoclasm said...

Congratulations. That organist part was really funny.

6/19/2006 04:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home