Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Question on Berkhof

I need a bit of help. I am currently trying to budget Louis Berkhof's Systematic Theology, and while browsing the campus bookstore today I realized there are two versions on the shelves. On the one hand, there is the Banner of Truth edition (reprinted 2003), and on the other there is the Eerdmans edition (printed 1993). There seems to be no difference between the two other than cost (BoT edition is far cheaper) and the fact that the Eerdman's edition contains another of Berkhof's theology books, an introduction to theology, I believe. So my question to you guys and girls is this: which is the better buy? Which will do me more good in the long run? Discuss amongst yourselves.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go with the longer one.

3/02/2006 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger Occidental gazing Oriental said...

Mr. Newell,

This is what my mother used to tell me, "eat what is on your plate and then if you are still hungry you may have seconds."

It will take a while to exhaustively study the cheaper one, and once you do, if you are still hungry you can go back for seconds.

Blessings,

B.Preston

3/02/2006 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

His "Prolegomena" is good. I tore through the older edition of his sys theo (without the Prolegomena), actually wore out the spine. When I bought it again I got the expanded edition. BUT, the BoT edition is a nicer binding. It will lay open on it's own weight. Eerdman's will not. Berkhof's is (one of) the best one volume sys theo's available, the prolegomena is good, but not the greatest. I wouldn't worry about it. Go cheaper IMO.

3/03/2006 01:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home