Thursday, March 30, 2006

On Theological Curmudgeons

Curmudgeon (kuhr MUJ yuhn) n. A crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas. I recently had a conversation with an individual that just made me think. Is it possible that some people get so set in their ways that change is impossible? More specifically, is it possible that some people get so theologically set that they cannot learn new ideas and change their beliefs? Even when the beliefs they ought to change to are more biblically faithful than their former beliefs? I was struck with abject sadness at the thought. I discussed this with my senior pastor before church Wednesday, and his reply was a resounding yes. Needless to say, this bothered me. He told me that with individuals like this, one would be best served to never discuss doctrine. These people don't want to learn something new. They have already decided what they believe and are not open to growth or to correction. They do not want to believe they could be wrong. He named this type of individual fundamentalist. I was very bothered at the idea I could not discuss doctrine with the individual in question. I was even more bothered that this individual, whom I know quite well, has little or no hope of growth in their faith. Do you folks have any similar stories, and hopefully some encouraging experiences to share?

2 Comments:

Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

I define a fundamentalist as someone who adds something to the gospel, and makes that an article of the faith. For example: Charismatics have the Gift of Tongues. I can be a total curmudgeon about the Bible being my rule of faith and still be open to correction in how I understand it. Remember 2 Tim 3:16,17: All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, reproving, correcting, and training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Until I behold Christ face-to-face, I should always be open to correction from the pages of scripture.

3/31/2006 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen Newell said...

Well, that's the type of person I'm concerned with here, someone who is not open to correction.

3/31/2006 05:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home