Friday, March 24, 2006

Friday Flounderings

Well, at work last night I had another intentionally evangelistic conversation with the aforeblogged "Short Stuff." In this conversation I learned how devious some people will get just to convince themselves they don't need your point of view. In particular, I mean that some will try to use your belief system against you in order to accuse you of hypocrisy. The look of hubris on Short Stuff's face as she thought she'd caught me was almost funny. But instead I found it sad. To justify her confused and illogical (and quite silly) worldview, she found it necessary to attempt to ensnare me. But fortunately I was able to present the Gospel to her for the first time; a clear affirmation that Jesus died so that whoever believes in Him will have eternal life. Sadly, this confused her even more than the straight path I took out of her attempt to trap me in her web. I think a meditation on two passages today is appropriate in light of today's conversation. Let's start with Romans 1:21-25 --
For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
And again in 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12 about how God deals with the lost:
Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
These are sobering passages to me this morning. My heart breaks that Short Stuff is fooling herself and is glorying in thinking she has others fooled too. Please pray with me that the Holy Spirit will work in her for salvation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home