Thursday, December 08, 2005

If God Is For Us, Who Can Be Against Us?

Talking with my sister today, I came up with a nice paraphrase of Romans 8:31-34. What will we say about this, then? If God is for us, who can be against us? God didn't hold back, but gave up his own son Jesus for all of us; how can he not give us everything we need also? Who will bring any charges against us whom God has saved? It is Jesus who makes us right! Who can condemn us? Jesus died for us, and not only that, he was raised from the dead, and is now sitting at God's right hand praying for us! I didn't catch that I inserted "Jesus" in the place of "God" in the phrase "It is Jesus who makes us right!" Chalk it up to being tired and having the words "God" and "Christ" sitting right on top of each other in the version I paraphrased from (English Standard Version). Thankfully the statement is still true theologically. I'm also not too sure about substituting "praying" for "interceding" in the last sentence, but oh well. When I think of intercession, I think of prayer, so until I have a chance to look it up for sure that's what I'm going with. I rather like this paraphrase. It was powerful and timely in this particular discussion. More proof that God has a purpose for everything under the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home