Monday, November 14, 2005

The Southern Seminary Dating Game

Ex Quo has an interesting take on how single guys around here prove they're Pimp Daddies:
Girl in the bookstore is looking at CDs. Guy: So how are you doing? Girl: I'm fine. Just looking at CDs. Guy: Ah, that's cool. Say, can I ask you a question? Girl: Sure. Guy: Well, I was praying about this last night, and I really felt that God was leading me towards asking you out. So, I was wondering if we could go out some night to get to know each other better. Girl: Well, I really don't want to be in a relationship right now. Guy: Oh, that's cool. I just wanted to hang out and get to know you better. Girl: Well, let me pray about it and see. Guy: OK, well, I'll see ya around. GUY turns and leaves. GUY 2 enters. GUY2: Hey, how's it going? Girl: Oh, I'm fine. Hey, guess what? Some guy just pulled out the God card on me when he asked me out.
Isn't that hilarious? For the full post, click on Ex Quo's name at the beginning of this post. Now, seriously, I'm so glad I didn't really try dating any Southern Seminary girls in my time here. Not that I wasn't attracted to the ladies or didn't want to date any of them (this just in: Southern girls are HOT), but you know what, you never knew if a particular girl was attached. I would say that until the past couple of years, at least 75% of the female population here were married or fixing to be. That's not good odds for a young, single first or second year seminary student. So it was not as good a use of my time to find an available girl. I must say, it paid off--when I finally did attempt to date a seminary girl, she introduced me to my fiancee, who is NOT a student here! In fact, she's a former Catholic, to boot. Take THAT, ladies! (Removes tongue from cheek) Every time I've heard a female student discuss the men in this place it's always been in a negative context. For example: "They're just looking for a wife because the church won't hire them unless they're married. They play the God card. I just want a man who wants me for me, not for my theological value. They're socially inept nerds." Yes, I actually did hear those last two. The moral of this story? If you really think you're gonna find a "trophy wife" at Southern, think again--God's Will is what happens when you're making other plans. Just let it happen, guys. You don't need to get your Mack on. We can't all be like Will Smith in Hitch.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Archer of the Forest said...

That's truly hysterical. What Guy1 actually a student?

11/16/2005 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen Newell said...

Yep, Guy1 is an actual student. Ex Quo said this was an actual conversation, so I'm assuming he is Guy2, unless he's really Guy1 and needed confession.

11/16/2005 05:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home